Friends of the Green
After discussion with Silloth Tourist Action Group (STAG) prior to the Green refurbishment, a report was drawn up as part of Heritage Lottery Funding for Stage 2, to identify key goals for a ‘Friends of the Green’ Group. Aims identified were to:
- Work for the enhancement, maintenance and use of the Green
- Work in partnership with the Green management team
- Protect the facilities of the Green and help improve them
- Increase public awareness of improvement programmes
- Provide facilities for recreation and leisure time occupation
- Raise funds for maintaining and improving the Green
- Ensure that local people are involved in the future of the Park
- Leave a legacy
- Lifelong learning and skills development
Other practical activities identified were to help with:
- Surveys and other monitoring activity
- Clean ups and litter picking
- Renovating key features and long term projects
- Seasonal planting (eg. Community Garden)
- Guided Walks
- Events Organisation
- Applying for separate funding of their projects
The group were also tasked with arranging guest speakers, instigating repairs to park infrastructure and getting involved in maintenance support; also helping with publicity and marketing, information leaflets, finding sponsorship and maintaining membership lists.
Friends of the Green supported the plans for a Community Garden on the corner of Criffle Street and Lawn Terrace. Since the garden opened in May 2014, volunteers have cared for it.
More help is always needed. Please get in touch if you have a little time to volunteer and help.