Peter Ostle indicates that by 1900, Silloth had a large goods yard and a station with a platform long enough to accommodate the busiest excursion trains.
Trains brought many visitors to the Town, with the Green, games, entertainment and the seaside being huge attractions.
In 1901 Bulmer’s Directory records cricket, tennis, football and other games on The Green.
The Edwardian ladies toilets were built in 1910.
In addition, by 1910, the ‘Pierrots’ were regular performers in the Pavilion, located in an area of the Green known as ‘Happy Valley.’
In 1911 a shelter was built to mark the Coronation of King George, and the Green was used for a firework display and procession.
The 1926 ordnance survey shows there was a putting green adjacent to the tennis courts which had increased in number by that time. A pair of kiosks had also been added to service the outdoor entertainment and concert party area ‘Happy Valley’, in the vicinity of the existing pumping station area.
During the Second World War the shelters and Baths were requisitioned by the Home Defence. However, performances continued to be held in the Pavilion on the Green to entertain visitors.
In the following audio recording (Courtesy Peter Ostle), Gus Proud, resident of Silloth, describes his father’s role while working as a boy in the Pavilion.
Peter Ostle indicates that lack of any maintenance during the war years had left Silloth’s sea defences in a dangerous state. Many of the pine trees had been washed away and the Green was frequently flooded.
In late 1949, work began on a new sea wall and promenade.
After the end of the war the owners of The Green, LNER Railway Company, handed the site over to the Wigton Rural District Council. A renovation plan was proposed in 1949 for improvements including car parking, a paddling pool, shelters and a swimming pool.