Events & Festivals

The Town Council are committed to supporting festivals and events in the town, for the benefit of residents and visitors alike.    

As an event organiser, you are responsible for the planning, organisation and operation of your event.  The following information and links are here to help support and advise organisers of festivals and events to plan, prepare and safely manage their events ensuring that they have everything in place that needs to be.  This includes things like health and safety and risk assessments, as well as obtaining the relevant permissions and licences, where necessary.

When organising your festival or event, you should consider its location and the impact that it will have on the surrounding area.

Festivals and events take time to plan and organise.  Ensure you have plenty of time to allow proper planning and that you have everything in place to enable your event to be successful.  Wherever you are holding your event, you will have to get the land owner’s permission.

Licensing and Temporary Event Notices

A Temporary Event Notice will be needed before your event can go ahead if it includes:

Live and/or recorded music
Performances (including plays/dance/film)
Boxing and/or wrestling

Holding an event on Silloth-on-Solway Town Council property

If you are planning to hold a festival or event on Town Council property, it is advisable to contact us well in advance, to ensure the date is available and to obtain permission from the Town Council. Permission must be obtained before an event is advertised or promoted in any way.  You will need to send an “Application for an event” to us at least 56 days (8 weeks) prior to the event, together with a site plan, risk assessments and copy of the public liability insurance for the event. 

When you’ve completed the necessary paperwork, please either email the documents to or post them to the Town Clerk at 5 Burnswark Terrace, Solway Street, Silloth, Cumbria, CA7 4EF

Safety considerations

If your event requires safety advice from a number of services such as the police and fire, it may be useful to seek guidance from the Event Advisory Group.  Submit an event advisory form to the single point of contact at Cumbria County Council.

Road closures

A road closure may be necessary depending on the size and nature of your event.  Please allow enough time to apply for your road closure and all costs must be covered by event organisers.

Other sources of advice

The additional information below will give you general advice needed for organising festival and events. There is information regarding the safety considerations that should be followed, and includes a checklist to ensure that you have covered all the areas that are required of you.  There is also a guide explaining how to carry out your risk assessments, and a form to record them on.

Downloadable Documents

All documents open in a new window.

Application for an event (pdf file)

Application for an event (doc)

Terms & conditions for use of Council land (April 2021) (pdf File)

Event Budget Planner (pdf file)

Event Guidance Notes (pdf file)

Event safety Council Safety Monitoring Checklist (pdf file)

Event Risk Assessment Guidance (pdf file)

Outdoor Event Risk Assessment Form (pdf file)

Fire Risk Assessment – Market Stall (pdf file)

Fire Risk Assessment – Outdoor Catering (pdf file)

Site plan of Silloth Green (pdf file)